Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Blog #3 Key Findings/Generations M2

When reading the Key Findings of Generation M2, I really was not surprised at the data concerning media usage among young people today.  I believe that these numbers will continue to increase with the increase of technological devices and software that will be developed.  I reflect on my students in my classroom and how it is a struggle to monitor the uses of the technological devices that they bring to school with them on a daily basis.  We struggle making sure that they keep their cellphones in their lockers because they find ways to access Facebook and other internet sources that should not be accessed during school hours.  These numbers are especially scary when thinking about implementing technology within the classroom.  These numbers show that in order for technology to be utilized in a positive way for promoting academic success, teachers must be well versed and trained in the software.  If the computers are just place within the classroom, the computers will only be used to access the internet, causes the numbers to increase in school as well. 

I really had a hard time grasping the purpose of this particular article. Although this shows data that suggests students who access the computer and other technological devices have poorer grades and so on, I am wondering why are we pushing technology then?  I guess what the author is saying is that technology must me modified so that students are able to balance this with other aspects of their lives.  I still believe that technology can assist in the advancement of academic success, but I truly believe that exposure to the social media access of technology for students can cause that academic gap.  I just speaking from experience with my students who ask to use their cell phones for researching information only to find that they are accessing Facebook.  If the students are utilizing the internet for academic purposes, then technology could be a good thing. However, if they are on the internet with these disturbing numbers only for social media purposes, then this could really be detrimental to academic success.

3 comments:

  1. Algeanna,
    Your comments about students and their cell phones is very true! My students love to text and facebook on them all the time. I know that I’ve called home and taken away cell phones from students but that usually never solves the problem. What are some ways that you’ve addressed it? I actually collect cell phones from kids before they enter my classroom and then I return them when they leave. It’s very time consuming but I don’t have the stress of worrying about cell phone usage in class. Also, if students do not turn in their phone and I catch them using it, I give them several after school detentions. I definitely agree that technology is great when used correctly, but social media purposes carries a negative effect on academic success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with what you have pointed out. There is this really big push for technology in schools, but it doesn't seem to really be making this large difference in attentiveness in school. I also like that you pointed out that when technology is brought into the classroom, thats not enough. The teacher's need to be well-versed in how to use the software and programs applicable to academic curriculum. I think it is very alarming the amount of time students spent on social networking websites and I wish there was a way to channel that energy towards learning. I think regardless of the changes in time, getting students to be interested in learning and put that as a high priority is always going to be a struggle. I definitely think technology can help, but with the good comes the bad and students are obviously accessing the bad (i.e. social networking websites, etc.) more often than they are researching academic subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ask about the purpose of the article. I think it is an important survey that gives actual numbers to and so confirms what many educators (including you and everyone that has blogged about it) already suspect re: amount of media use. The numbers correlating grades and self-esteem with media use are also of interest, though the summary cautions against saying which direction the causality goes (does increased media use result in lower grades and lower self-esteem? Or do low grades and low self-esteem lead to increased media use?) Your follow-up comments I think are right on the money -- why push it? and how to achieve balance. Quite a challenge.

    jd

    ReplyDelete